Granted, there’s much harder parts to wedding planning than choosing your wedding cake but believe us there’s more than you will first think. This evening we’re sharing seven tips for what to think about when you’re choosing your wedding cake.
1. Size: Your cake maker will want to know how many guests you are having so that you have enough cake to give them all. On average a three tier cake in ten, eight and six inch diameters will serve around 120 portions from a round shaped cake and 200 portions from a square cake. Of course if you want a four tier cake but have no need for that much actual cake you can include a dummy tier to you’ll have the right amount of cake and the look you want.
2. Flavours: This is the really fun part; choosing your cake flavours. Traditional fruit cake has long since been replaced with a variety of flavours. Don’t forget gluten free options of those guests who may be intolerant.
3. Venue: Believe it or not you should think about the venue your cake will be sitting in. Even a very large cake can look tiny in some huge function rooms. Think about how your cake will be displayed, if you cake maker can supply cake stands or something really unusual to display your cake.
4. Decoration: Do you want a naked cake, semi-naked or iced? It’s time to hit up Pinterest and see what takes your fancy and suits your overall scheme. Don’t forget to chat to your florist if you want to dress the cake with a floral design.
5. Shape: Most cakes are round but it certainly doesn’t have to be, as square cakes are making a comeback. Double height tiers are also very popular and work well with simply iced designs.
6. Ask questions: There’s no point in trying to guess the answer. If you’ve a question about your wedding cake, make sure you ask! You’ll most likely be trying to stick to a budget so make sure your baker knows it and can work your vision into reality with it!
7. Cut the cake & enjoy! Don’t forget to cut the cake and get that infamous photo- doesn’t everyone have one?! With photos over, don’t be too polite to have a slice!
Your wedding cake should be the centrepiece of your reception, so take your time getting your wishes and requirements perfect.